Thursday, July 30, 2009

Chat Pack

I recently bought something called Chat Pack, a collection of 156 cards with one question on each card that is intended to be a conversation starter. I took this to the girlfriend getaway in Ohio and have been having fun with the questions ever since.
Sample questions:
  • What is the best piece of advice you have ever received in your life?
  • If any one of the national holidays had to be celebrated twice a year, six months apart, which one would you want it to be?
  • If you won a contest in which your prize was to select any three guests to appear on a popular late-night talk show, which three people would you choose?
I paid more for this in a gift shop than I would have paid if I had ordered it from Amazon or Barnes & Nobles online. You might enjoy having this in your own home or to give as a gift. The age range on the back reads 6 to 106. While some questions might not mean much to a young child, there is nothing suggestive or inappropriate for anyone.

Bill and I have occasionally gone through a few of these after dinner, and some of our answers have surprised each other, even after knowing one another for 37 years!

I am going to pose one of these questions (and sometimes one of my own) on each of my posts for a while and see if they generate any interest. For today, let's go with

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received in your life?

I'll be back later with my answer which will appear in the comments section.

4 comments:

andrea said...

years ago, when i was pregnant with ashleigh and my life seemed to be falling apart, a friend of mine said to me, "everything is the way it is because it has to be that way". now, i don't know if he made that up or if he was quoting someone else, but i can honestly tell you that when things get difficult for me, i always think back to what he said - and i believe those words to be very true!

SmilingSally said...

So many times people will say, "Don't think about it."

This advice baffled me, until one day, I asked my son "How do you NOT think about something this pressing?"

His answer, "You can only think of one thing at a time. Whenever you begin to think of THAT, begin thinking about something more pleasant." That's my best-ever advice.

Blondie's Journal said...

I don't know if this would qualify as the BEST advice, because it has sometimes haunted me and I regretted learning it...

The hardest thing to do is the right thing to do.

Should I go to the gym or take a nap? Should I put off that mammogram? Should I just tell my husband I only spent $20.00 for it?

Whenever I have a decision to make, I know I can't take the easy way out. It is really difficult sometimes.

Great idea and post!!

xoxo
Jane

Knitty said...

My dad often said "Just because other people are nasty, you don't have to be nasty too". I wish I could say I never succumbed to following a word or action with a retaliatory one, but more often than not, I have followed his advice.