Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A wee bit o' Irish

I can't claim even a wee bit of Irish in me. I don't even ingest what most think of when we speak of Irish fare. Guiness is too strong for me, and I prefer Scotch to any whiskey, Irish or not. Hubby and I do love grilled corned beef sandwiches with coleslaw, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing on rye or marbled breads, but don't care much for corned beef and cabbage fixed the traditional way.

That is no reason not to decorate though.

My table has a Belleek cache pot with a shamrock setting inside it.
The March SnoWonder figure is the only snow I want to see this month (or just about any month!)
St Patrick's Day and Easter often overlap when it comes to seasonal decorating. This vase is out year round, but now always in this location. The bunny was an Avon purchase many years ago. I'll have more bunnies to show in few days.
Would you like a cup of coffee in a shamrock mug?
Or would you prefer tea in a teacup? Years ago I became fascinated with Belleek and their process of making parian china. I HAD to have a teacup but wasn't finding single teacups for sale around home. Fourteen years ago we went on a Caribbean cruise with friends. We had a few hours to spend in Barbados and the first thing I spotted while shopping was this teacup! Nothing like going to Barbados from Michigan to buy an Irish teacup and saucer!
When the boys were little, we always had shamrocks cut from green paper, paper chains draped around things and often had cakes decorated with rainbows made of colored sugars and gold foil wrapped coins in the edge of the plate. Since Colton is only a week old, I think I will skip that kind of cake this year. Maybe his parents, his uncle, his grandpa and I will just have a little Bailey's in our coffee and call that our dessert.

Soon this Beanie Baby will go back in the bin with the other Beanies. His cousin, a Beanie covered in an Easter egg print sits on another perch and will make an appearance with the bunnies, chicks and all things Spring in a few days.

I'll leave you with a simple Irish blessing:

May the best day of your past
Be the worst day of your future.



Happy St. Patrick's Day!

5 comments:

KTW said...

How very Irish of you, Knitty! :) Love all the green decor. I have to say that the teacup is probably my favorite. I do have a bit o' Irish blood coursin' through me veins! Just a wee bit, though. So I don't like corned beef and cabbage either. ;)

Blondie's Journal said...

Everybody is Irish on St. Patrick's Day! Love all of your pretties. My MIL has a nice collection of Belleek. She was 100% Irish and deserved every piece she was gifted. I am 1/2 Irish and love corned beef, cabbage, bangers and mash, bubble and squeak...you name it!! And I love Bailey's and coffee on a cold day!

xoxo
Jane

Chatty Crone said...

I have some Irish and I'll loan you some for tomorrow!!!!

I like your cups and saucer with the four leaf clovers.

And "May the best day of your past
Be the worst day of your future".

Happy St. Patrick's Day.
sandie

Nettie said...

...Do you like potatoes? They're fairly Irish aren't they?

I've got Irish blood in me from my Convict descendants on my dad's side of the family. My
great-grandparents on my mum's side of the family came out to Australia from Ireland probably after or during the potato famine that was happening in Ireland at the time.

But I don't even have a single Irish themed decoration at all in my home. Think I should find me something nice sometime to show my Irish heritage.

Happy St Patrick's Day

Anonymous said...

You have some darling Saint Patrick's Day decorations ♥