Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy Beef Barley Slow Cooker Soup

I didn't think I would be so busy in retirement. That isn't a complaint though, as most of the busy-ness is a choice. Today was destined to be a day full of errands even with a clear weather forecast for the rest of the week. The huge winter storm that is predicted to deliver 10-15 inches of snow by Wednesday made completing errands today imperative.

I had purchased beef last week, cubed it and divided it into two freezer bags for soup or casseroles. When I realized yesterday how hectic today was going to be, I took one bag out of the freezer for today's dinner. I made soup in the slow cooker and it not only made the house smell wonderful when I got home late this afternoon, it warmed us up on a very cold day.

Many people are fancier cooks than I am. Many are purists who would never use short cuts such as canned items or seasoning packets. I applaud their creativity, their diligence, their whatever-drives-them-to-be-who-they-are BUT...I also applaud myself for getting something together for dinner on a day when time or interest in cooking is in short supply. 

I didn't think to take a photo of tonight's dinner, but most beef barley soups would look similar so I am using this photo found online.
The surprising (to me) flavoring in this recipe comes from a packet of meatloaf seasoning. I use low sodium beef broth to cut down the sodium that is undoubtedly in the seasoning packet. Click here to see the printable recipe.

If this is the type of recipe that you would consider making, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

2 comments:

Jack Canfield said...

Looks yummy!

Chatty Crone said...

My husband just asked me for a barley recipe! Thanks. sandie