Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Queen's long reign

Do Americans stop to think about how long Queen Elizabeth has reigned? How about a pictorial review:









She has reigned while 11 presidents have been in office. Ten are pictured above. Did you notice immediately who is missing? From top to bottom, we have Barrack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, John Kennedy, Dwight Eisenhower and Harry Truman.

Who was the missing president and why? Lyndon Johnson is the answer. According to fun trivia's site here  the short answer is that the queen was pregnant at the time of Kennedy's funeral and unable to travel and Johnson rarely traveled outside of the U.S.

A few weeks ago I mentioned this book in this blog entry
 The woman who leads our knitting group is knitting the royal couple and the archbishop and they are as cute as can be!  I didn't plan to get caught up in the lives of the royals, but apparently I am. It sure beats contemplating taxes and complaining about the weather.

3 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I knew she had reigned forever - and that Charles is waiting his turn! How did she get in so young and he's so old? And what about William?

Very intersting.
sandie

Blondie's Journal said...

It is a nice respite for us.

I think the Queen just gets cuter and cuter every four years!

XO,
Jane

KTW said...

What a cool post. I had never really thought about her longevity in those terms. I mean, I knew she'd been there for-somewhere-close-to-ever, but I hadn't compared her reign to our succession of presidents. Very cool.