Saturday, June 11, 2011

Backup your bookmarks!

Don't assume things like I did. Remember that old adage about "assume" making an "ass" of "u" and "me"? Well worse than that, it is darn frustrating when you lose all your bookmarks/favorites because you mistakenly thought your backup system was including them.
I use Mozilla Firefox and it is easy enough to export them as a HTML file. Thankfully I did that on my laptop so my most frequently used bookmarks are back. Unfortunately, my desktop is where I do most of my work and shopping and some bookmarks were only on this computer. Next time we need the source for dishwasher parts or the obscure manual for one of Bill's old power tools, it will take time searching again.
I'm just so darned happy to have my main computer back, this is only mildly irritating me. The man who takes care of my computer is Ron. When I told him about the voices coming from my speaker even without a browser or email open, he did give me that questioning look (are you nuts?) that Bill used to give me. Ron and I don't have 35 years together yet so I let that look pass. I would have loved to have seen his face though when the voices came through his speaker days later!

The problem turned out to be a faulty internal modem that isn't even necessary any longer. It was from dial up days. Figuring out that this was the problem wasn't an easy discovery. He had to go all the way back to bare bones, just a clean hard drive and a processor, before the traitorous modem showed its ugliness. Strong words for an inanimate object? Not when said object keeps me from my addiction!

Now that I've done my good deed for the day and reminded everyone to do their backup homework, I am off to find some sites and save them again.

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments: