Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I must be a magpie

Another day in blogland, another confession. If you've read here awhile or know me personally what I am about to say isn't news. I like jewelry. I like fine jewelry. I like costume jewelry. I'd probably wear a necklace made of gum wrappers if I chewed gum. Does gum still come in those foldable wrappers?

In addition to liking shiny objects, it is said that magpies like to talk. I looked that up in a reference book and sure enough, my picture was there right by the definition.
Last night I had my jewelry pliers out to fix something. As long as they were out, I decided to go for some instant gratification and make a few bracelets. Many of the crafts I enjoy take days or weeks to complete. Once in a while it is nice to finish a project or two in one sitting.

First I made a sedate bracelet with Hematite rings with glass pearl-like beads inside and between them. Sometimes I don't want over the top sparkle. This bracelet will fit those times.
I haven't worn much purple in the past but I found that deep purple (the color, not the band) looks ok on me. I've been wanting a bracelet with green and blue in it, along with some purple. A simple linear bracelet isn't much of a design challenge, but I like this because I can stack it with a few others if that is the mood I'm in.
And lastly, we have full blown Magpie. This is the kind that will make Bill raise his eyebrows ever so slightly. After all these years I know he is thinking "you honestly like that???" but he is gracious enough to just smile and say "that's nice dear" while trying not to bite his tongue too hard.
With sewing waiting, two knitting projects barely begun and an ABC scrapbook in the planning stages with only a few images printed so far, making these bracelets scratched a creative itch. And they'll definitely up my bling factor.
Thinking over this magpie business, my sons are very lucky they were named for their father and grandfathers. They could have been Heckle and Jeckle!





4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Those were nice - great job - maybe you are a magpie!

KTW said...

I like them all, but I have to say...that last one speaks to me! :) I love the colors and, yes, the BLING FACTOR! I'm not a particularly 'blingy' person but I've discovered lately that I'm starting to like a little sparkle from time to time. ;)

Changes in the wind said...

Absolutely love that first one!!!

Sewconsult said...

You make me smile...no full out grin! I wear blues, purples and reds. No greens for me. I have already looked in the racks and there are lots of greens coming in for the Fall! I love the bracelets. My daughter is into making jewelry, but I haven't been on the receiving end yet!
Beckie