Monday, January 30, 2012

Orchids, anyone?

One of our tour stops was at Akatsuka Orchid Gardens.  I am lucky to grow a few houseplants that thrive on benign neglect and occasional over watering so I freely admit that I know nothing about orchids. I wish I had been able to get the names of them, but we were pressed for time and there were many visitors all trying to sniff the blossoms and get good photos.
I thought a series of notecards featuring some of these blossoms, done in watercolors would be pretty, but don't hold your breath waiting for them.











 




I admit that orchids are not my favorite flower. While the colors and markings in many of them until now have been beautiful, this next one really doesn't do much for me, but wait until you see the sign that accompanies it!
We were told the sister orchid, valued at $20,000, earned that distinction by being perfectly symmetrical.
 
I still don't think it is very pretty.

This concludes the photos from our Hawaiian excursion unless my friend sends me some that are worth sharing. I'm more concerned about photos that could be blackmail worthy. Thank goodness she doesn't blog!

3 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

$20K for an Orchid? That is so much money!!!!

Well I will give you that you brought me some well needed sunshine with those flowers today!

sandie♥

Sewconsult said...

I'm with you...I have never seen the draw of an orchid. The sista one looks like it is sticking out its tongue at you! There are colorful, but not my favorites.
Beckie

Anonymous said...

Wow! These orchids are beautiful! Adorable flowers.
Enjoy your Day!

Eva